View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013   #11
Say Watt
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 47206 Say Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respectedSay Watt is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Arian Foster likely to undergo heart procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Frog,

We've talked about your perforation in the past. It is a scarey and terrible thing to go through and can definitely be life-threatening. That is why it is prudent to only do it in a hospital setting, where in the unlikely event that the chest must be quickly opened, it can be done so to save the patient's life. It is a real potential complication seen with ablation. I don't know if it was an "excuse" or not. However, any patient movement during the procedure and the catheter tip can easily be displaced to burn the wrong area or to burn too deeply (through the heart wall-perforation). That is why general anesthesia is specifically recommended for atrial fibrillation, where the heart is already itself moving in irregular and unpredictable fashion, without patient movement. The complication rate for ablation seems to be consistently somewhat higher for atrial fibrillation than for other arrhythmias.
I'd be curious concerning how many robotic ablation procedures your cardiologist or surgeon had performed before yours, as there is a steep "learning curve" to the use of the robot. Some surgeons have a great reputation with traditional tactile surgery, but have a difficult time transitioning that expertise to the robot, especially near the beginning.

Ablation, no doubt, carries significant risks although in small number of cases. However, as you have found out, you might not care that the risk is 1 in 1000....if you are that one. That is why the procedure must be justified by significant supportive indications.
What is your main specialty, Doc? Just curious because your knowledge on all of these subjects just blows my mind. If you specialize in a field that I see a doctor for, I'd love to come see you.

I too had an ablation. I agree with HoustonFrog that it is anything but "minor" for those experiencing it. I was in surgery for close to 7 hours and when I woke up, I thought I was dying. Worst experience of my life. It took me screaming for the idiots in the hospital to finally realize how much pain I was in and come shoot me up with morphine.

I really feel for Arian. Sucks to be young and otherwise healthy but have to deal with a heart that just randomly ****s up for no reason.
Say Watt is offline   Reply With Quote