View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013   #31
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Question Re: WR catch rate: Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
I don't know about that. People thought Kubiak & Shanahan "wanted" a RBbC thing in the backfield, but both have shown that when they get a guy who can run, break tackles, catch, & block, they have no problem relying on him as a "feature" back.

Walter is our #2, he & Jacoby were 2a & 2b...... because we didn't have a #2.

I don't think that is what Kubiak wants, I think that's just what he's been able to get with the priority he's been able to put on WR considering all the other issues we've had on the team.

I agree with ckhouston & Rey. Walter isn't worthless, I have no problem if he ended up being the #3 WR on this team.... which is what he is.

I also have no problem with him being the #2 if no one can beat him out. That at least shows us that we don't hand out starting positions just because & they need to be earned.

But I think we need to step up the competition by throwing some elite talent at the position. A 1st or 2nd round WR in the upcoming draft, or a pseudo elite FA.
I would have no problem with this IF the position was adequately addressed & there was some note worthy competition brought in to compete. Outside of Jacoby & Andre Davis there hasn't been one legitimate FA or rookie brought in to compete. Jacoby was a project just as Posey, Martin, & Jean are. How is that a true competition? An UDFA coming off of a season on the IR & 2 rookies to compete against a vet whom by most accounts is looked upon favorably in the HC's eyes despite his lack of production. Sounds like true competition to me. Bring in a young vet FA w/ potential or a high draft pick who is highly regarded & lets see a true competition & battle. That simply has not happened by Kubiak & Rick Smith's doing & there is nothing about Walter's poor performance at the #2 that suggest that grass is not greener on the other side.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote