View Single Post
Old 01-31-2013   #8
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 237178 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Ranking the 2012 Offensive Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
Eh, I disagree a bit on Newton.

This is basically how Newton graded out during the season/playoffs. He missed two games:

Week 1: -4.5 (Miami)
Week 2: 2.8 (Jax)
Week 3: -6.3 (Den)
Week 4: 0.7 (Tenn)
Week 5: -1.0 (NYJ)
Week 6: 0.8 (GBay)
Week 7: -1.4 (Balt)
Week 8: 0.6 (Buff)
Week 9: -4.1 (Chi)
Week 10: 2.3 (Jax)
Week 11: -1.6 (Det)
Week 12: 1.7 (Ind)
Week 13: -2.6 (Min)
Week 14: 3.9 (Ind)
Week 15: -1.2 (Cinci)
Week 16: -3.6 (New England)

That is the definition of inconsistency. No signs of progress.
Great post..... but I disagree. I don't know what to make of their numbers because I've yet to figure out how they get them. I've read the explanation & everything, but I've watched the OLmen & my opinion always differ from theirs.

Not saying I'm right, or they're wrong. & if you agree with their ratings, rankings, & scores..... that's fine.

I factor in that Newton was getting his first NFL experience this year & I was impressed with what I saw through the first 8 or 9 games. I thought he was an immediate upgrade over Winston in the passing game but was a big drop off in the run game.

But I saw all the things I like to see that suggests he can play at this level. I liked his feet, his lateral movement, his hands, his eyes.. all in pass pro. In the run game, I liked his speed, his power & his agility. Needs more upper body strength & needs to get mean.

I don't know that he'll ever match Winston's play on the play side, but I think he has the ability to play well above Eric on the backside. My criticism of Eric Winston & the reason I never understood paying him $5M/yr was his pass protection & his play on the backside of the run... he was way below avg in both.

If he starts scoring higher in KC as a run blocker &/or pass pro, I'm going to chaulk it up to change of scenery. If there was any player on this team that I thought was "too" comfortable, it was Eric Winston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post
So by all means let Newton hold his spot in a real competition. He earns it then that is good and means he worked his butt during the offseason. But definitely don't just go in thinking 'Oh we just need depth at RT' because Ryan Harris actually outperformed Newton so we have 'depth'. We need someone ready to step up and contribute and there is no where near a guarantee Newton is that.
Ryan Harris, imo, doesn't have any power. There may have been three plays all year where I said, "That was a good.... whatever" in regards to Ryan Harris.

But I don't have a problem bringing in a guy to compete with Newton.

But I thought our offense dropped off when Newton got hurt. Even when he got back, we still performed below what we had before he got hurt. I think his play was our biggest limiting factor going down the stretch, he didn't get any movement on the line & he was constantly in Schaub's lap.... especially against New England working against smaller guys.

I was all for cutting him until someone reminded me he recently injured his knee & that could be the reason for his drop in play.

So I'm waiting to see how he recovers, but I still wouldn't mind seeing competition.

Everyone wants to believe that we stuck Winston in & all of a sudden, we had a great offensive line & that was far from the case. He was probably our first tackle that actually played at an NFL level.... well, there was Salaam. But I don't think he improved enough from his first day to his last day.