View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013   #69
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Brooks to move to ILB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
This could work or be a complete failure.

I'm nit a fan of the overall players that reed, barwin or merciless are. But they each have skill sets that can be useful.

I'd rather draft or sign a real MLB that won't have as many limitations that reed has. Hes not all that fluid and hes not all that quick or sudden when he's on the field. But if he's the silb then he's good enough to take in the fb, but he's going to get eaten alive in pass coverage in the middle of the field. If he has to cover for more than a few seconds.

Barwin is better suited for the solb position than the wolb position where he was counted on to be the primary source of outside pressure. But both are just average players. Nothing special about either and I'd be concerned with having both on the field for a majority of our snaps.

I'd rather add another dynamic player to the mix and not have so many blah guys with a returning from injury Cushing.

As far as merciless goes, he's good at getting to the qb when he's not touched or when he makes his second move to the qb once he starts scrambling or moving around. He's not shown that he can line up and beat tackles just from a pure skill stand point. Much of his sacks were unblocked or when a qb started to move around. But he has good quickness and closing speed. Again, a useful skill that is valuable, but I don't see him as being a dominant edge player. I think he can be ok if put in a good position...just like reed and barwin. I think they all have some big weaknesses to their games.

IMO, if this move happens and barwin re signs that won't be a good thing for the defense over the course of the year. I think they'd have some strong performances mixed with some awful ones, but overall I think they'd be an underwhelming group as a whole.

If I was the texans id let barwin go and leave reed at solb. Let merciless start as well, but draft another guy in the 1st or second round to put pressure on them both. I'm not thrilled with the ilb draft class, but there are guys in free agency that would be upgrades over what we had. Some older players, some younger guys. Pick one or two of them up.
If Mercilus improves as much as he did between his Soph and Jr yrs in college Wade will have found his premeir pass rusher. This remains to be seen.

I'm meh about Barwin, if they re-sign him I think he will be an above avg SOLB. I get what you're saying about Reed, but he still would be an upgrade over the James/Dobbins duo that finished the yr. I look at the potential Cushing/Reed combo as somewhat comparable to the Bingham/Kiner ILB duo on the old Oiler teams. Reed will be a solid vet vet and Cushing will be the playmaker.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote