View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013   #11
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: BL 2013 Post Senior Bowl Texan Mock Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
Its tough to do a Senior only mock. Props to you for trying it!!!

1. Great selection, but as you said in your last line, "fast rising, pass rushing prospect to keep an eye on", he may get too high for Htown. QB, guy who protects the QB(LT) and guy who puts pressure on the QB tend to get drafted based on projection. I could see a team like New Orleans, take a flier on him.

2. Patton has been shooting up the draft boards. the small school prospect showed he belonged with the big school boys. Would be a great 2nd rounder. I would certainly consider him in the second, though I would be curious which over WRs may be available here.

3. Williams is a great selection and I love this pick. Your bowling ball reference is great. Initially the person who reminded me of a bowling ball was Mister Cobble. Problem was, whereas Williams was knocking down pins, CObble was sitting in the gutter too many times for comfort.

3. I like the idea, however I wonder if Trufant would be a better pick in the 1st. Kareem had a great year last year, but i think he would make a better Saftey. As a safety he could use his tackling and pass defelction skills better and wouldn't have to worry about WRs zipping by him. Move Jackson to S, and plug Trufant in at CB2 opposite Joseph?

4. Thornton looks like a good ZBS potential OG. I am concenred with some flexibility, but lateral and downfield movement look good. Some of his lack of knee bend may be sloppiness and coaching. Playing with a mean streak would be good for this team. Only thing is, I would prefer a bigger OG. Can he put on some more weight? I am tried of the Texans OL getting pushed around because they are relatively light.

5. REALLY like Williams, but his soft hands may have sent him shooting up the boards. He is already the best run blocker for a TE/FB/HB in the class. Having the ability to pass catch now means he could be used as a TE or a FB. Versatility means he may go up to late 3rd/4th rounder now. But, shoot, if he is here, I'd take him.

5. Solid choice. I don't see him competing for a Saftey starting spot and looks like depth/ Special teams to me. Still. getting anything for a 5th rounder supplemental is fantastic. I'd take it!

5. We have agreed on the need for upgrading the punter. I need to read more about Locke, so I will defer to you here.

6. Reminds me of Casey in that he can catch and block well. Not an elite blocker nor elite pass catcher. Better blocker than Casey, though not quite as good of a pass catcher. I think the FB should be more of a blocker anyway. Combine him with Williams and watch out!

7. Afraid to say, I don't know enough about him. Will defer. I like the idea of a late round RB to keep the well full. Is Kubiak smart enough to use him?

7. I like the player, but I am not sure he is the right fit or the team. I envision an ILB who is able to play the run, but not be a liability in the passing game. I have not seen enough footage of him to tell me he can handle the passign game. Perhaps he can with coaching. That said, I'd think long and hard about him in the 7th, though his best position may Cush's.
thanks

Dane Brugler, just blogged this on CBS listing Jones as one of his fast risers
Quote:
Jones showed a striking physique and carried that momentum over to the practice field. He showed excellent short-area burst off the edge, winning with strength and quickness at the point of attack. He is very strong from head to toe and does a nice job using his powerful arms and hands to rip past blockers. He wasn't overly productive as a pass rusher at UCLA, largely due to the fact that he was moved all over the Bruins' hybrd 3-4 scheme, but he did record 19 tackles for loss as a senior with his impressive blend of burst and power to dispose of blockers at the point of attack. It's tough to classify him at one position, but his scheme versatility will make him an attractive prospect for hybrid defenses like in New England. Jones is a name that will start to appear in first round mock drafts moving forward.
&

Quote:
In a talented safety group, Florida International's Jonathan Cyprien stood out during practice with his aggressive playing style and active demeanor. He practiced at full speed and left it all out on the field, not shying away from getting physical. Whether it was a contact drill or not, Cyprien is going to meet the ballcarrier with a pop, refusing to let up. He is a smart player and scouts were impressed with his football awareness near the line of scrimmage and in the deep half of the field. With Kenny Vaccaro (Texas) and D.J. Swearinger (South Carolina) deciding to skip Mobile, Cyprien looked like the top player at his position at this year's Senior Bowl.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote