View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013   #8
deucetx
All Pro

Rep Power: 25182 deucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respecteddeucetx is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ranking the 2012 Offensive Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Newton wasn't just handed the job, he was the backup for Rashad Butler and competed with him in camp to win the position, but Butler went on IR so he didn't have much of a chance to lose it. When you lose a starter, it's not uncommon to have a less experienced backup take over. And it's not like the team didn't try to address the position further, they picked up Ryan Harris mid-season and worked him into the RT rotation. Harris had a lot of injury issues though, and I think that's why he was limited in his play.

Let's not pretend Kubiak did nothing to address the position though, and he certainly can't foresee Butler's injury. Cutting Winston hurt the team for sure, but it was a calculated risk that didn't go our way.
Matters how you see it. Even with Butler being experienced it was rather limited and then you have a guy with no experience in Newton. That really isn't doing much about the position to be honest. It's working with what you have on roster and what we had wasn't all that much. Granted it's all hindsight as I am sure many of us thought Butler would be capable (me included). Then I got to watch him in preseason and realized I was wrong, heh. Definitely a calculated risk like you said. Just hope we don't just go with another one next year.

And not sure if you meant it as such but it read like you are saying Butler lost the job to injury. Newton won the job before Butler got injured. Newton was awarded the job after the Saints game and Butler got injured against the Vikings in the last game. Kubiak then said the two would not share time and it would be Newton's job.

They did sign Harris but what else could they do since they needed a backup tackle. Course it helped him being a former Bronco lol. Two best ways to become a Texan; be a former Aggie or a former Bronco.
deucetx is offline   Reply With Quote