View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013   #7
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Ranking the 2012 Offensive Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
I'm not saying Newton isn't a problem, but handing him the job is essentially what Kubiak chose to do when the Texans were suppose to be considered Super Bowl contenders this year. Not the best practice by any means, but showed you kubiaks faith in him. After a year of experience & growth do we think Kubiak will bring in adequate competition, not talking about a 6th or 7th round pick, or will he hold the course & expect Newton to improve. Knowing kubiaks history of being a year or 2 late on making needed moves I wouldn't he surprised if the position is not addressed in the fashion that we would expect.

Also, how are these grades being calculated? Looking at the fact that newton graded out negatively in the 2 playoff games seems somewhat surprising to me considering the fact that Schaub was very rarely touched against both NE & Cincy & Cincy actually led the NFL in sacks. Considering the competition you would think he would've graded out better as opposed to the NE game being considered 1 of his worst showings.
Newton wasn't just handed the job, he was the backup for Rashad Butler and competed with him in camp to win the position, but Butler went on IR so he didn't have much of a chance to lose it. When you lose a starter, it's not uncommon to have a less experienced backup take over. And it's not like the team didn't try to address the position further, they picked up Ryan Harris mid-season and worked him into the RT rotation. Harris had a lot of injury issues though, and I think that's why he was limited in his play.

Let's not pretend Kubiak did nothing to address the position though, and he certainly can't foresee Butler's injury. Cutting Winston hurt the team for sure, but it was a calculated risk that didn't go our way.