View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013   #13
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32827 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Looks Like Everything's Changing with the Cowboys..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
If Jerry Jones is going to continue to run his team into the ground and only have coaches whom he likes I don't see things getting much better for the Cowboys over the short term (Which is probably not good for the "bandwagon" part of the Cowboys fanbase). He's going to continue to employ Jason "3rd Down Draw Play" Garrett as the HC while publicly stripping him of call playing duties and hand that on over to probably one of the worst coaches in the league currently. I just don't see much difference between him now, and what Al Davis had been for about the last 10 or so years (A running joke) and he even KNOWS that he is pretty much the problem and still won't hire a GM.

Lets just quietly gloss over firing the DC, and replacing him with a guy who was a brutal failure on the college scene (As a DC no less). Now I'm not the biggest Rob Ryan fan, I think he's an overrated loudmouthed fatty (Like his brother), but I just don't see how Kiffin is going to be that much of an improvement, or why he didn't just throw millions of dollars at Lovie Smith? Whatever they do, I hope they don't fire Garrett just to promote another yes man that's already on the staff.
Bolded cracks me up. Reminds me of when Ernie Zampese came in and used to call the same plays.

I agree with everything you said. People like to look at football games or teams in black and white. If you just looked at the scores and stats you'd say...the offense sure did carry the team and do well while the D was middle of the road. That simply wasn't true. I don't use injuries as excuses but overall I think Ryan did well with the issues they had to deal with. In fact the defense had to try and keep them in games while the offense floundered for half the season. The offense would then click in the 4th quarter and make a game of it while the defense was spent from being on the field all game. Yet Garret doesn't get held accountable and keeps his job and Ryan is the scapegoat.

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/...calling-duties

Quote:
The Cowboys consistently started slowly, especially at home, where they faced deficits of 7-0 (Tampa Bay Buccaneers), 24-7 (Chicago Bears), 23-0 (New York Giants), 13-0 (Cleveland Browns), 28-3 (Washington Redskins), 14-3 (Philadelphia Eagles) and 31-17 (New Orleans Saints).

The Cowboys had a 7-0 lead just once all season, and that came in the finale at Washington. That's hard to do.
As you mentioned, the Kiffin thing is a question mark. The guy failed at USC and people say "well that's college and he didn't have the talent to run it." That was one of the worst defenses in USC history and historically got beat down. Many NFL teams, including ones within the division are going to a hurry up/college type offense and that is what Kiffin had issues with. WRs flooding the Tampa 2. We have no safeties so its a tough sell.

If you want my opinion Jerry is setting Garrett up to fail instead of getting rid of him after 2 seasons and then he will get a big name. I just see 2013 as wasted right now with how he is putting it together.