View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013   #11
Hervoyel
The Right Track

Rep Power: 243165 Hervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respectedHervoyel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: How does the playbook change with a more mobile quarterback?

I don't believe it's even necessary to go overhaul the offense to somehow get the QB running every other down. I just think that having a QB who can realistically pull it down and take off, and does every now and then when the opportunity presents itself will by itself change the way the offense is defended and in that way create more opportunities for the offense. I know that when Matt is flushed out of the pocket he's going to throw it away. Matt knows he's going to throw it away and Gary knows he's going to throw it away. Every damn lineman on our offense knows it too and they know that if they don't hold then the play is D.O.A. You know the defenses know it because the good ones have become adept at snuffing out our drives by doing it.

Don't try and find Michael Vick II but find someone who can rip off a decent run when the defense has everyone covered but screws up containment on you. Make them pay for it in yards and first downs and the way they defend our offense will change.

Matt isn't going to do that and even if he could I don't know if Gary would even encourage it. I just don't know. When his players screw up Gary's the first guy to say "He was trying to make a play" and he sure doesn't sound all that mad at them for trying but at the same time Matt throws that ball away so fast now that it almost feels like it has been drilled into his head not to get hurt, not to turn the ball over. He throws it away on reflex now and to me that looks like he's following orders.

I always go back in my mind to that Oakland game and Matt not trying to run the ball in to win the game. Yes, it's entirely questionable whether he'd have even gotten there. I know that. At the same time I remember how he wasn't about to even try on that play. The guy was rooted to the damned ground. Now was that because he wasn't capable of making it and he knew it or was it because trying to go get it was outside the box for him in that situation?

I want the Texans to put a QB on the field who can take advantage of an opening like that and who is allowed to try when he thinks he can make a play. Matt can't run worth a damn and Gary seems to know it. That's tough to cover up for an entire season.