View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 291679 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What position of need is easiest to upgrade via Free Agency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tru80texan View Post
Draft a young quick ILB who is capable in coverage & I believe you could possibly get more of what you want & that's Cushing terrorizing QB's. I don't think an older past his prime MLB will help that cause.
This makes the most sense to me. We need someone speedy, young, and hungry. I like Urlacher but do we really want to tie up a bunch of cap space in one guy??

IF I were to spend team capital on one guy, I'd just as soon make a phone call to the Jets to see if the price for Revis is reasonable before I would spend big bucks for Urlacher. Richard Seymour still has gas in the tank. Bet he'd like to play along side J.J. Watt. Think of that 3rd down pass rush: Watt, Smiff, and Seymour.

Here are some other names from this article to broaden the discussion...
Quote:
Defensive line
1. Cliff Avril: The Lions can't keep everyone up front and he won't be franchised again.
2. Randy Starks: Been in the league a long time but still a spry 28; tremendous versatility to fit any scheme and Dolphins likely lost their chance to keep him.
3. Henry Melton: Become a force for the Bears and one of the few younger impact players on that D. Would think they do all they can to keep him.
4. Richard Seymour: Dude can play inside and outside and will be refreshed getting out of Oakland.
5. Matt Shaughnessy: Dealt with a lot of coaching upheaval in Oakland in a short period of time. Still very young and talented.

Linebacker

1. Dannell Ellerbe: Even when playing with one hand, he has become the engine of Baltimore's defense and keeping him will be top priority.
2. Anthony Spencer: Some scoffed when Dallas franchised him, but he will have the last laugh in free agency this year.
3. Connor Barwin: The absence of Brian Cushing may have hindered Barwin some this year, but still plenty of ability to get to the QB.
4. Paul Kruger: Took off in the second half of the season and has the entire league watching him in the postseason. Looking to get paid.
5. Shaun Phillips: Getting older, but I would take my chances with him above some of the other aging LBs.

Cornerback

1. Sean Smith: Has the skills and body to be a shutdown guy, and at age 25 is just entering his prime.
2. Cary Williams: Stepped up big time when Lardarius Webb got hurt, and his playoff performances are only helping his cause.
3. Mike Jenkins: Yet to put it all together for the Cowboys but teams were exploring trade options for him last year. Will draw interest.
4. Aqib Talib: If not for his off-field troubles, would be much higher. Staying under the watchful eye of Bill Belichick might be his best move.
5. Tracy Porter: Seems like he has been around longer, but at age 26 well positioned for free agency.

Safety

1. Ed Reed: Maybe the greatest ever, and still has a knack for the huge play at the huge moment.
2. Kenny Phillips: Can't stay healthy enough, but when he does the fellow product of The U flashes some Reed-like qualities.
3. Louis Delmas: Another absolute difference maker ... if he could stay in the lineup. Still, the Lions must make every attempt to keep him.
4. Jairus Byrd: Has tremendous ball skills, just like his daddy, former Chargers corner Gill Byrd.
5. Dashon Goldson: A heavy hitter who will be looking for more long-term security after coming off the franchise tag.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote