View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013   #158
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 275466 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Bob McNair's Thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
Personally, I never believed that firing someone is an instant upgrade. I also never believed that is the only way to hold someone accountable.

I don't know what this FO is thinking. I don't know that Joe Marciano is coming back as ST coach. But if he was, I don't know that I would have a problem with that.

This organization is already facing criticism because we released two of the most electric kick returners of the 2012 season, while fielding one of the worse special teams.

The question I would ask is, "is Joe M a good coach or not?" If I believe he's a good coach, he's not going anywhere. If I do not have faith in him, he's gone.

Our opinion of Coach Joe may be very different than theirs for valid reasons. We only see what we see & they see a whole lot more.

There was a time when Special Teams was the only good part of this team. As both the offense & the defense improved, Special Teams progressively got worse.

Is Coach Joe picking his players, or is he being told what he will work with? That could be the biggest part of the problem right there.

Our STs in the play offs wasn't too shabby, once they got starters & other role players on ST.

So I'd be more worried about how they approach ST more than if there is a coaching change or not.
The bolded pretty much speaks for itself regarding coach Joe.

The NFL is a results driven business. The fact that our special teams has become a huge liability is quite evident. Teams often replace good coaches because the players need a wake-up call.

You are right in that we can only see what we see, but what we see is the end product. Our average starting position was one of the worst in the NFL, iirc. That is additional strain on our offense where it should be giving them an advantage.

What would be your guess as to why they are keeping him?