View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
He has good speed, but 3rd or 4th round? I don't know about that one. Without an ability to play QB he has an undefined position. One problem he will face is that very few ATH QBs, end up becoming quality NFL players.

1. Remember Reggie McNeal? He was the QB of Texas A&M. He was 6'2, 190lbs and also was deemed to have to switch positions. He ran a 4.35 40 and was drafted in the 6th round. McNeal also played DB in highschool as well as QB. As a DB he had experience running down the field and having the ball thrown in his direction. Despite that he barely made a ripple in the NFL and is now in Canada.

2. Remember Marcus Vick? He was the QB of VA Tech, like his brother Michael. He was 6'0, 216lbs and had a 4.47 40 time. He went undrafted. He signeed for the Dolphins as an UFA and mostly spent time on the PS. He got into one game and never made a catch.

3. Remember Pat White? He was the QB of West Virginia. He was drafted by Miami in the 2nd round. He was 6'0, 190lbs and had a 4.55 40 time. The Dolphins had plans of using him as a Wildcat player. Fast forward a year and he was cut from the team.

4. Of course, I won't mention Matt Jones...

The fact is moving a guy from QB to WR really does not work too well unless he has had experience at the position. As such, teams that have invested high picks (Jones in the first and Pat White in the second) have had it badly blow up in their faces.

Denard has never played anywhere but as a QB. As we have seen in the practice of the senior bowl he is struggling to learn his new positions. He is dropping makable catches as a WR, fumbling punts on punt returns, and is not making blocks. He may get drafted, but he will have to show more than just speed at the Senior Bowl, combine, and his proday. If he produces more of the same, its a good chance he goes undrafted.
I don't know whether or not he'll be successful.

My point was that guys like that are taken fairly early in drafts. You even named a couple. Another guy is Eric crouch. I'm sure there have been other taken in the 3rd or 4th round or earlier like that.

And Hines ward did ok as a convert...randel el was good for a few years...edleman has been pretty good for NE...i think seattle's starting fb was a qb in college...

I have no idea if it'll work and really that's not relevant and wasnt my point. My point is that all it takes is one team to think they can make a weapon out of him. Reggie McNeal and Marcus Vick were pot heads. They had some blemishes which may have caused them to drop. I know Reggie McNeal smoked because I f'n smoked with him before.

Robinson seems like a relatively trouble free kid. People know he's raw. If he goes out there at the combine and shows even marginal improvement and on top of that bust out a ridiculous 40 time and puts up other good numbers in agility and explosiveness, I would not be shocked at all if some team picked him up in the 3rd or 4th.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote