View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013   #21
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Little Breakdown on Rick Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
To add to this, when you start off your article with the hand waving the selection of two All-Pro's, you can tell it will be heavily biased. I also don't really agree with the notion that the Texans are in a dire situation salary cap wise. Some cuts will have to be made but I doubt they bring nothing in free agency.

I'm of the opinion Smith is doing a good job bringing in talent, and retaining talent on the roster. I can't imagine being upset at any recent big name signing in free agency, but I could be overlooking something.
Outside of Joseph, Manning, & Smith( although some may say they overpaid for Smith) most of their other FA signings have not panned out. Reeves, Ahman Green, & the trade for Philip Buchanon are just a few of the questionable moves. As I said earlier, those could be growing pains, but the premature resigning of Schaub, Walter, & Jacoby have been their questionable moves of late. Walter was forced to take a pay cut in the 2nd year of his latest contract or he could've easily been released similar to jacoby who requested his release 1 yr after he was signed to a new contract. Schaubs play of late have many questioning whether or not the Texans should've waited before resigning him.

You are right the Texans do have a lot of young talent, but it remains to be seen if he can retain them as many of them are playing under their rookie contracts & are not an issue just yet. The fun begins starting this season as Quin & Barwin are due up & it seems 1 of them will possibly be lost. Time will tell & let's see if Smith can earn his money.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote