View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013   #4
tru80texan
Veteran

Rep Power: 3503 tru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respectedtru80texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: A Little Breakdown on Rick Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
My thoughts are that Smith gets either too much credit or too much blame for the draft. Yes he is in charge of the process. But it is well known that Duane Brown was Alex Gibbs' pick. JJ Watt was Wade Phillips' pick. Smith takes a lot of input from the scouts and the coaches. It's more of a consensus than Smith dictating.

Having said that, the Texans draft record has been spotty since Smith's arrival. Good and bad. The good is magnified by Arian Foster's UDFA signing in 2009. With 11 picks in the upcoming draft, this would be a good time for Smith and Co. to be more good than bad.
I think the spotty drafts & the salary cap nightmare is why Smith is always a hot topic. If you aren't drafting players worthy of being starters & you aren't known for building the team thru free agency...then how do you create such a mess w/ the salary cap? Some of the poor decisions made on free agents have haunted the Texans for quite a while. If I recall correctly, the Texans were still dealing w/ dead money against the salary cap in 2012 for Jacque Reeves of all people. When you consider the fact that on the defense alone that 6 of the 11 starters where still under their rookie contracts it makes you wonder where all the money is going & how badly was it handled.

Hopefully you are right & they hit a few jackpots in this upcoming draft to get the trend turned around.
tru80texan is offline   Reply With Quote