Thread: Mock off-season
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013   #44
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 8871 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mock off-season

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
If you allow the guys I propose to walk, you get 12.528 million back. If you cut Walter thats another 3.5 bringing it up to 16.028. Here is what is interesting though.

The genius of Rick Smith is actually in his cap ability. He is actually better than you think. Foster and Brown, Joseph, Myers, Smith and Manning increase about 3.5 million ALL TOGETHER next season. But Schaub actually goes down about 1 million. Meaning for all those guys, we only increase the salary roughly 2 M.

The problem is Andre, Antonio and Owen increase pay SUBSTANTIALLY. I would honestly expect them to re-do their deals or be cut/traded (except Andre, not sure he can do anything with his deal). If they re-do Smith and OD we will be in GREAT shape to add a piece or 2, nothing crazy, but something to help the team and still have money for draft picks. I would expect something big to happen this off-season as we prepare to sign Cushing, Watt and Kareem Jackson.
Can't go with genius and Rick in same sentance unless there is a "not" in there also. (1) Kept Mario when there was no way we would ever resign him under any circumstance. We lost value there. We might have been able to keep some of the players we had to let go plus/or had multiple draft choices (2) Resigned MS to long extension this year.

Building a team that lasts is all about buying low and selling high. We do buy low for the most part ( I still question the purchase price of MS) but I don't think we have ever sold high or sold at any price for that matter. I take that back I think we got something for someone last year, but we did not sell high.
Just my opinion.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote