View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
He's an athletic freak, but I read Jordan weighed only 225 LBS at the nd of the yr. This worries me, because the last thing the Texans need is an Aaron Maybin.
Both Barner and Jordan have come to Travelle Gaines' Athletic Gaines gym in West Hollywood to fill in the blanks. They're both preparing for next week's Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala., and working on specific aspects of their physique to accentuate the positive characteristics that showed up so frequently on their college tape -- especially in that specific All-Star environment.

Gaines has Jordan on an multi-meal-per-day plan, though the regimen is tightly controlled from a nutritional perspective. "As soon as we're done working out, he'll have a post-recovery shake, and a banana, and peanut butter," Gaines said on Tuesday morning from the field at Fairfax High School. "After his rehab session, he'll have snack number 2, which is a peanut butter protein shake. Then, Lunch A at noon, a workout at 1:30, and then he'll have Lunch B at 3:00. Post-workout recovery again, snack at 5:00 p.m., an 'A' at 6:00, and a 'B' at 8:00, and a peanut-butter protein shake at 10:00 p.m."
That may sound appealing to most foodies -- sportswriters in particular can get behind the whole "Lunch A and Lunch B" idea -- but as Gaines said, the plan here is to get Jordan up to 250 pounds by the scouting combine in late February without robbing him of any of the things -- specifically speed and explosiveness -- that make him special. Gaines said that Jordan has put on seven pounds since he arrived at the training facility, which puts him at 234, and the idea is to gain four pounds per week.
"I don't know how he played football at 226 pounds," Gaines told me. "But [increasing weight while retaining speed] is easy, because the stronger he gets, the faster he'll get. Right now, he's really lean, and we'll keep his lean muscle mass. He's not going to be bulky -- he'll still be fluid and he'll be faster than before, because he'll have more lean muscle, and he'll really be able to move."
Jordan has also added a specific MMA-related program with Jay Glazer and Chuck Liddell of MMA Athletics. Glazer, who has trained football players for years in MMA tactics when he's not breaking news for FOX Sports, started working with Gaines to help round out the skill sets of players at the NFL level. Helping draft prospects out -- especially players such as Jordan and Barner, who need help with on-field leverage -- is very much the same thing.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...8726--nfl.html

Good article on two guys I hope end up in texans uniforms in a few months.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote