Thread: Safety
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013   #39
powda
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 90635 powda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respectedpowda is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Safety

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I'm really torn about the safety situation.

It looks like the Texans will bring back Quin.
(Quin seems to be really upbeat about the prospect.)

If that's the case, should we find a great safety with a high draft pick?

There isn't one sure thing in this class to begin with.

There are some pretty good ones, but none I think can take over Manning spot in a few years.

It might be better to find a big one that can play in the box but also can cover the big TE and RB so we can move Quin back in the dime package.

We can find another safety next year or the year after next???

For all we know, the Texans might not even draft a safety next year and just go with Eddie Pleasant.

Pleasant isn't a bad player but I am concerned about his coverage skills.
I dont think its what we WILL do, I think its what we SHOULD do. People pick out all 3 defensive needs (ilb, safety, nose) and say, "it's a waste because they'll only be on the field x amount of time." So lets get 1 guy for the base defense and 1 guy for the nickle early. I want a new talent on the back end (safety) and one in the front 7 (nt) early along with a qb to unseat schaub in 2014. We have young talent at wr and ol which should get better so I dont address those needs till the middle rounds or with a 2nd tier free agent. If we have 1 "splash free agent" gimme a wr who will actually help now. Ilb is kinda the afterthought for me. Sure we need depth but we have cush comming back and james/dobbin did ok in his absence. Nothing great, not an atrocity.

I want a safety who can move because a slower run stopping safety is easier to find...in fact keo may be that guy as long as you use him to his strengths and dont give him to much field to cover.

A legit bruiser at nose keeps the inside backers clean and makes them more effective which is why I prioritize that position over ilb. Plus just maybe he makes watts job a lil easier.

I dont know enough yet about actual players in the upcoming draft which is why i'm only looking at it from a positional standpoint.