View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013   #13
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans signed several players in mid January

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I went to the page for the Broncos, and I saw one with an unspecified reserve/future contract, quite a few with a one-year dollar specified contract, and one with a 2-yr deal.

So it looks like there are differences; I wonder what that might be?
All of the players being signed now are being signed to futures contracts. The NFL league year does not begin until March so these non-guaranteed contracts are for the 2013 season. if a player does not make the opening day roster the contract is voided.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...the-money.html

NFL teams are now signing dozens of players to "reserve/future" contracts to round out their 2012 rosters. These deals -- the vast majority of them without signing bonuses and for minimum salaries -- do not technically activate until the 2012 League Year, set to begin on March 13. Thus, the players will be in a reserve category until that time.

Many of these reserve/future signings are players that were on practice squads for the 2011 season and will sign with the team for which they were on the practice squad. Some, though, will jump to another team for a perceived better opportunity.

Like undrafted free agents, teams can uncover some true gems in this category of players. At the Packers, we signed Cullen Jenkins one January as a reserve/future player. Jenkins went on to be a highly productive player for the Packers and now the Eagles