Thread: NFL Dynasties
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013   #34
Cerberus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 68965 Cerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respectedCerberus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Dynasties

Quote:
Originally Posted by toronto View Post
For me the 80s Niners will (4 today) remain the best dynasty of alltime in the NFL. Starting to worry about the Pats though. Their excellence has gone on since 2002, it just needs 1 or 2 more SBs and they're there, especially in this era.
So, out with the old and in with the new/most recent. That is kind of what I was getting at, the Johnny-come-lately mentality that minimizes that which came before. Not slamming you, just pointing out human-nature.

You know, you got me thinking about something else too. Lets take the Raider's dynasty and pit it against the Patriots dynasty. If they were to play each other today, I'd say the Pats would probably win. However, that is an unfair assessment because of the different eras. If you took Brady and the Pats back to the 70's, the Raiders would have crushed them. So, the issue in part is linked to rule changes. So, in my mind both teams would have to play by the rules of their era in an imaginary game. In other words, Willie Brown and Mike Haynes, or Lester Hayes in the later years, would be able to be physical with the WRs like in the 70s, but the Pats could not. Jack Tatum and George Atkinson could punish players like Wes Welker as they go across the middle. The Raiders would be able to crush Brady after the pass with players like Matuszak and Alzado, but the Pats would have to not hit Stabler or Plunkett after their passes. And with that in mind, I don't doubt the 70's Raiders would thump today's Patriots. JMO

Last edited by Cerberus; 01-20-2013 at 08:17 AM.
Cerberus is offline   Reply With Quote