View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013   #38
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The Comeback Sequence Needed more Mustard for those Biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Gruden a coach many clamor for around here said Schaub does both of the first two excellently and broke down several plays showing it before one of the games. I don't recall Schaub being sacked on any screen plays. There may be some examples but certainly enough to call it a problem.
I think you're right, I think Gruden talked about that.
I wasn't really talking about Schaub in this specific instance, I was talking about all the QBs that were drafted.

But Schaub can still do better on those things.
For example, on the pass that he threw in the endzone to Walter that McCourty intercepted, he didn't look off the safety.

I believe AJ was running a route on the left (where McCourty had an eye on in case AJ runs a post route, and Foster sneaked out of the backfield, Schaub never tried to freeze McCourty. Either that, or Schaub could lure the safety and dumped the ball to Foster.

On the screen pass, I don't recall an instance where Schaub was sacked (but he might have been), but I would say it's probably more of a problem by the O-lineman. But I was really talking about the rookie QBs.

More often though, the QB has a lot to do with whether he's quick enough with his read to know that a defender is coming in too quickly, and he needs to get the ball out faster for a better chance of a completion, or he needs to draw the defender know close enough so that the back doesn't get tackled before he can make a move.

Sometimes, it's better for the QB to fake a pass to one flat before throwing tbe screen pass to the other side as to avoid getting the ball batted down.

I've seen Keenum do this very well like an NFL veteran.

These are the things that those of us who follow Keenum closely notice.
And that's why we said that he's such a smart QB.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote