View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013   #113
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83971 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' LB Brooks Reed: "we weren’t fully prepared"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Toro View Post
1. In basketball players play offense and defense - this alone makes the analogy poor. I think you meant pass, rather than press. In basketball, press is short for pressure, a defensive term.
2. A fast break most often does not begin with the ball in the PG's hands. The better fast break teams will have a Center or PF that will rebound or block a shot and make an outlet pass up the court, usually to the PG; and then must fill the open lanes for spacing, and someone must bust their ass to get to the paint in order to make the defense react. A fast break to the fan is the artistic dunk at the end, to a team a fast break is an opportunity, but also to set itself up on the secondary break, for a an open shot on the swing, low post or weakside. If not, then through the spacing the team should be able to seamlessly go into it's motion or set out of the secondary break.
3. PG's are most often an extension of the coach, and the better teams will have PGs that do not have the ball in their hands for too long. In a fast break, the PG should take one dribble, two at tops, and get rid of it. If not queue up the secondary break. The PG for me, is a player that must be able to dictate tempo on both sides of the floor, specifically on defense. The last thing you look for from a PG in a break is creativity, as a coach. The break is drilled at grade school and derivatives of those grade school drills are still used in the pros.
4. Lakers - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar in my opinion is the most underrated player ever. 6 Championships, 6 MVPs and the all-time leading scorer. James Worthy was a 7 time all-star and one of the best finishers in the open court. What made them showtime was Magic's smile and personality, what made them great was playing D, controlling the boards, finding the outlet man, filling their lanes, keeping the ball off the floor, and finishing whether it is the fast or secondary break. In short, execution.
5. Great PGs do not equate to Championships, unless you are talking HS or College
6. Basketball must advance the ball due to a 24 second clock
7. In closing, Rugby and Basketball, IMO, may be more analogous for your train of thought.

In regards to proving a counterpoint by saying nothing - this is a message board. You, Fiddler, Thunderkyss, Norg, I, etc, are not always understood - depending upon the take, experience on the subject, presentation, etc., whether it comes from the publisher or the consumer of the post. Moreover, it is my opinion that attempting to prove a point or insinuate fact, via a post that makes no sense, should be called out or qualified for the betterment of the poster, community and the inquisitor.
The PG for me, is a player that must be able to dictate tempo on both sides of the floor,

Right here is the key for you coach, you said it yourself.

And we are not talking about ONE play; we are talking about the whole philosophy of your team.

If you are a fastbreaking team, let's say the Nuggets back then, who's the most important guy on your team.

You know the Nuggets that ran a lot, with a PG from the Houston area?
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote