View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013   #109
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 70559 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' LB Brooks Reed: "we weren’t fully prepared"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
how about learning he hurry up offense, or the sugar huddle when down by 18 with nearly a quarter left? My quandary is that Kubiak isn't a defensive coach so he should be at least be able to diversify the offense enough to function like everybody else does when they get behind vs good teams. We've all seen the other playoffs teams ramp it up when needed. I don't doubt this franchise will not be awful, but it wouldn't shock me to discover that the last 6 weeks of this season are what we are looking forward to next season (underachieving moreso than record) if we can't step away from this slow, plodding offense we are running today. It won't do us much good to have a nice balanced stat line if the game is over every time a good team jumps out ahead. You weren't at least a little bit troubled about the tempo and pace of our "comeback"? Walking back to the huddle, calling running plays, keeping the clock going and you gotta love those quarterback sneaks. They reminded me of those famous Pastorini bootlegs.
I was alternating yelling and mocking the players, and coaches. It was infuriating!

We have successfully run hurry-up offenses in previous years. In 2009 and 2010, we did it quite a bit. But, that is a strong theme this year. Offensively, there was significant regression in the passing game from those seasons. Some of it can be attributed to Oline issues, etc... However, I think a lot of it has to do with team identity. As soon as Cushing was injured, I told Barrett that the key to our success in the playoffs would be whether the offense could re-establish itself (the next two months) as an aggressive unit that was primarily responsible for scoring enough points to win, instead of clock-sucking, methodical, and calculated- which it became (and it worked when the defense was dominant, and was necessary when Yates took over). Well, that transition clearly never took place.

Befuddling and frustrating for sure! Fortunately, I was resigned to losing the game before it was played. Otherwise, I may have had a stroke.