View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013   #102
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' LB Brooks Reed: "we weren’t fully prepared"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Sometimes it feels like we are what amounts to the kids who have to ride in their Father's Amish buggies all the while yearning to be in one of those exotic sports cars that casually pass you by on the road into town. I have mentioned in he past that the NFL moves fast, but this franchise seems to be a step behind and a little slower moving much of the time.
Vinny, I'm an infamous Kubiak apologist. While I may (depending on my mood) take exception with the harshness of your analogy, it is certainly true. Even at my most blissful, I lknow that Kubiak's learning curve is not a sharp one. I comfort that truth with another: he does learn. He will, eventually, see the problems and begin to modify and adapt... So, I feel good about the lessons learned this year and think the organization will be better for it next season. Do I wish Kubiak were quicker to adjust? Heck yeah!

Kubiak's greatest strength, I believe, is that he will never lose the players. I believe he has rare integrity that most players are moved by. He's a guy (sorry to scare some of you) that, if the team has some playoff success, could remain in position for 20 years or more... He's not a guy with antics that players tire of nor a guy whose message runs its course.

It appears that the organization's current strength and bright future are primarily the result of the following, though:

1. McNair's determination and commitment for stability (agree or not, the decision to keep Smithiak in place after 2010 was a gutsy decision that has paid dividends)

2. Rick Smith- I think Rick Smith has become one heck of a GM. Given that at least some power shifted away from Kubiak and to Smith after the 2010 debacle, I think we can count on consistently good personnel decisions between March and August.