View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013   #29
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans' LB Brooks Reed: "we weren’t fully prepared"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
It does make you wonder if McNair is looking in the NFL's rear-view mirror to emulate previous successful dynasties too much. He might be lacking the vision to see big picture evolution in the NFL, much to the detriment of required deviation that continuous success demands.

"Old school" coaches like Belichick see the evolution and adapt accordingly. His team is winning games today in a much different way than they were winning games in 2002. Rule changes and player evolution is changing the game. Young head coaches like Jim Harbaugh are dynamic because they understand the on-going evolution. Adapt or go extinct.

Reminds me of that documentary about Tom Landry. Dude was a genius innovator, and so much of the league at the time was stuck in the 1950's power run game that his schemes seemed exotic and unrealistic to his peers. In hindsight, however, we see him for the true genius that made the NFL a better overall game. Now his perspectives and innovations are considered fundamentals in football. By the same way, today's innovations and evolution will be perceived the same way decades from now.

The NFL is clearly morphing into a very offense-friendly league. Hopefully the Texans can keep up.
You and I are on the same page.

I've been saying that same thing, entirely, for about 4 days now. But I think a lot of us (including you & I, and others) have been FEELING that way for more than that, it's just that we're now openly SAYING it.

And this season, especially the two losses to the Patriots (with the playoff loss seeing us make the same dumb errors as before), has made us realize that it's not just a theory any longer. It's fact.