View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Gary Kubiak Presser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
This is why Matt can only check to a RUN, and never to a new passing play. In Gary and Tom's world, coaches call the play and players run the play. Oh sure, you think you need to flip the run from the right and now run it to the left? Fine. But you are not going to assess and create, pre-snap, and try to adjust the overall play I, the coach, just called. No sir.
I read this the other day, thought it was interesting.

Quote:
Washington's attack borrowed liberally from concepts Griffin used at Baylor. The key aspect: Griffin has options when he comes to the line of scrimmage. While the offensive line and backfield perform a running play, the receivers run a different passing play. Shanahan stressed Griffin wasn't using an audible; Griffin decided what play to run based on what the defense showed him.

"We really don't know what's going to happen until the defense plays, so we had running plays called and all of a sudden they gave us certain looks to take the running game away, and we threw a couple of bubbles early," Shanahan said. "And it's pretty impressive when a young guy comes in and plays with that composure especially in an environment like this."
In this system, a play has run elements & passing elements in it. At the LOS, RG3 decides if he's going to hand the ball off, or throw it to one of the receivers.

I believe our system is similar in so much as every play has different options, depending on what the QB sees, his progression changes. I think most people think Andre is Schaub's first option on the majority of the plays. I don't.

I think Matt comes to the LOS, sees the defense then he decides where the weakness is & which receiver is going to have the biggest chance of success. That player becomes his first read.

There are times when he'll put a man in motion. Usually that is to see how the defense adjusts, helps get a read on the defense. But sometimes it's also to get a particular receiver in a better situation.

For all I know, a knod tells the motion man to move to his first option, a stomp of his left foot tells him to motion to his second option & a wave of the arm tells him to motion to his third option.

Moving that motion man may not only put the motion receiver in a better situation, it might put Andre, or Arian, or whoever in a better situation. If they're playing zone & Andre is alone on the left, maybe he motions the slot to Andre's side to give the deep safety something else to think about.

Either way, I'm pretty sure Matt has much more control at the LOS than many believe. I also think they don't care to explain a lot of that to the media, because if we can't figure it out, chances are the defenses are having difficulty as well.