View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013   #33
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 121409 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: New Mock with a QB to develop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Wrong again as usual.

We don't take out a lb in favor of a corner. We take out a lb in favor of a safety.

And we arent just throwing stuff against the wall hoping it sticks. We pick defenses based on the personnel we are facing. The only thing wade does consistently as a wrinkle is use gq in that joker position.

When offenses come out in a base or two tight formation you're going to have lb's on rb's and te's. That's inevitable. But the difference is how you ask those guys to cover.

Mauluga in a 43 means he's the only guy in the middle of the field. The safeties are playing two deep and Mauluga is asked to cover a large area ALL the time. There is Bo escaping that in the defense he played in.

Here in a 34 we don't ask our guys to do that too often.

That's why you find guys with talent and ask then to do things they are capable of and not having then do things they suck at.

If you can find another Cushing or a player close to Cushing, great. But we are talking about someone that would ideally be a two down player. Someone whose most important job is stopping the run. Will there be matchups that's not good for him? Sure. That's when you play him less.

And bowman and Willis are both all pro's and are super athletic. If you can find a guy like bowman, great. I'm all for that. We should definitely look for a good lb with athleticism in the draft.

But in the meantime it wouldn't be a bad idea to sign a good player that can successfully fill a niche on the team.
Yep,

I thought Ruud did a great job this yr, for a man that just came off the street. I've got all LB positions as a big need. But since the way offenses are being run today (60% nickle) if I could choose one thing to instantly improve the defense, it would be to re-sign Quin and draft an impact S as an upgrade over the thoughly unimpressive Demps/Keo.

The offense needs to be fixed 1st though. Not enough playmakers and offense that's keeps the defense off the field would make a bigger impact for the defense than drafting a LB' in the 1-2 rd.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote