Thread: Regression?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013   #33
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 316914 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Regression?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
There's not a fan base out there that doesn't ***** about their team.

Being traumatized is a myth.

If your team fails to meet expectations you are going to have a bunch of people complaining.
I agree with probably 95% of your takes, but have to disagree with this one.

As previously mentioned, 35-3. Before that date, I LIVED with the Oilers. My moods on Mondays were based on the performance of the Oilers the previous day. Yeah, it's a somewhat superficial existence to allow a sporting event to dictate my emotions, but I was young and full of hardcore belief as I lived vicariously through my football team.

After 35-3...well, immediate aftermath was a two week depression. Not kidding at all, I was down and out. That experience sucked it out of me. I was shell shocked as a football fan. It was mind-boggling to see such a powerful team melt down in less than two quarters. That stuff is never supposed to happen, which is why it is considered such a landmark game. I still get a knot in my stomach when I see it on NFL Network. Sometimes I watch the first half, but most of the time I change the channel.

Long shot after 35-3 was a complete paradigm shift. I will never put myself in the position to have so much of my emotions riding on something that I have not even the slightest control. Which is honestly a good thing. It's not healthy. It's probably some sort of mental condition to be that way, so invested in a sports team that your mood and emotions are influenced by it. It worked out okay, but a big part of my cynical nature as a Houston football fan comes from the Oilers, both as a kid and as a young adult.

So yeah, traumatized defined as "subject to lasting shock as a result of an emotionally disturbing experience" is not a myth. Might be overstated at times, but serious reflection on my own life is that, on some levels, it can be traumatic if you allow too much of your self to be absorbed in it.

I truly think the reason why Houston fans did not respond to their team moving like Cleveland fans did was 35-3. Well, that and an a-hole owner, but mostly just the monumental failure at Buffalo.