View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013   #32
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Second round losses ultimate downfall of Kubiak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal McCoy View Post
Right. DB, I understand what you're saying here and it's sensible when taken out of context. The context I'm referring to is for years, everyone, especially this forum, have repeated to a man, "Kubiak will never get this team to the playoffs. I just want one playoff game before I die". Then, when it became obvious last season we would indeed see our first playoff game the goalposts were shifted, "We will never win a playoff game with Kubiak". This year, the new mantra is, "The only thing that counts is the SB". I think it's rather an exaggeration to imply TT would be happy if the Texans simply made the SB - don't you? There would be loads of people moaning that this "was our only chance" and "Kubes blew it". As confirmed by the TT faithful, the only thing that matters is winning it all - the view from 2nd place is the same as last place. There is an agenda, but its a rather silly one not based on facts. The team is progressing, whether folks want to admit it or not.
yeah, I see where you are coming from. People's expectations tend to change with success. It's not necessarily good or bad, but most likely a by-product of human nature.

I see an upward trend with Kubiak's tenure. It's slow and gradual, but onward and upward so far.

Some folks think this year was basically the same as last, but I disagree. I see 'baby steps' with this franchise (maddening for the impatient fan).

The Texans are still doing "firsts". 2012 was the first time they were front runners in the NFL. For the first time, NFL analysts were considering our team to be one of the best (up until the Pats game and the aftermath). It was the first time they had HFA within their reach, even if they failed to capture (maybe a first for next year?).

So yeah, they are progressing, just a bit slower than a lot of fans would like. And when compared to other teams that seemingly do it overnight, it feels like wait for water to boil.

I feel confident in thinking that Kubiak will get us to at least an AFC championship game. I cannot really say what I think after that point, but I think we will be playoff team for many years to come. And playing in January is always good, even if we feel like perpetual underdogs to the top teams.

p.s. I agree with you in general with the franchise that Cowher inherited when compared to the 2-14 expansion team that Kubiak took over. Both fruit, but apples and oranges.