View Single Post
Old 01-15-2013   #1
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 80689 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Schaub + Receivers vs Other QBs and their Receivers

OK. There are a bunch of complaints about Schaub, some of them are legitimate others are just nit picking. He isn't mobile, we know that. He might not have the best arm in the league, we know that too but I don't think there is anyone here that can deny that he has demonstrated in the past that he is capable of being a top 10 QB in this league. So what is the difference?

I went back and rewatched our game. Painful. But I was specifically looking for something. I'm submitting the idea that we ask Schaub to fit throws into too tight of a window too often. Go back and look at his completions. If you have access to the tape go look at third downs. Repeatedly we don't have good separation. Schaub is having to fit the ball into tight windows over and over. Then go look at Brady. 3rd and 5? He is throwing the ball to a receiver that doesn't have anyone within 10 feet of him. Does Brady make the small window throws? Sure he does. He made 4 that I saw. He also missed a few. Sometimes the receiver makes a great catch and sometimes the throw is perfect but we ask Schaub to make that kind of throw 20 times a game. Go watch his incompletions. Other than one throw to AJ (endzone 2nd pass of the game), one to Walter and one to Graham I didn't see him miss a lot of throws. (There was the WR screen on the left side but that play was just busted. That isn't a read that is just a matter of hike and throw.) Outside of those throws I saw a total of 4 throws that were to an open receiver. We all talk about NFL open vs College open but it sure looked like Brady was throwing to a College open receiver the majority of the time. Schaub threw the ball 51 times. I rewatched every throw. Of those 51 throws a full 19 of them were covered throws. I'm talking blanketed. Did he make the wrong read? Maybe. I don't have the all22 film available to go look but our receivers don't get separation.

Think about how you have to try to defend NE, GB, NYG, NO or ATL. NE has Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd, Gronk, and Hernandez. Sure AJ is better than any one of them individually but combined nobody has the DBs to dover them. GB is more of the same.

Our receivers just flat out don't get open. Not at the rate that other teams do. Other elite teams have 3 or 4 receivers that are better than most nickel/dime db's, we have one. You can't tell me that between the throw to Daniels and the TD to Posey that Schaub isn't making elite throws, he is just being asked to make elite throws too often.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote