View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013   #36
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 52212 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texan Re-Match with Patriot Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I know you have obviously worked very hard on this mock and I wanted to provide some feedback.

1. I disagree with your selection of Tyler Bray. I will agree that he has a cannon for an arm, I would not take him in the first. He has a gunslinger mentality which on good days lead to big time plays, but on bad days, leads to INTs and missed passes. I disagree with your assessment of him being an accurate passer. He completed 59% of his passes in 2012, 59% in 2011, and only 55.8% in 2010. Some of those issues may be related to footwork and can be cleaned up. However, the biggest reason I wouldn't take him is his style of play. He is a pocket passer without elusiveness. This is not a guy who can pick up yards on the ground or really even elude passers all that well. He needs a really good, strong OL to give him the time to throw. He basically reminds me of a Byron Leftwich type of player. He would succed best in a place with a monster OL(like Minnesota) where he would have the time to throw and the space to do it. Htown would not be a good place for him due to the smaller, quicker OL Kubes uses.

2. Good selection. Its hard not to like Hopkins. He has decent size, good hands, and good speed. My concern is he may not be here in the second. There are a group of 4 WRs I am looking at in the second: Hopkins, Patterson, Hamilton, and Robert Woods. I would be happy with any of the 4 and I think Htown could get one of them with their second rounder.

3. LOVE the Bakhtiari selection. Spent a fair amount of time in Colorado and still keep up with the Buffs and other Colorado sports programs through friends. Bakhtiari would probably need to move to OG to play in the pros. My only concern is his size. He is only 295lbs. That's small even in the ZBS scheme. Will he be able to handle the big DEs/DTs/NTs in the league? May need to put on some weight. Plus, it suggests you believe in Newton as a starter. Do you believe Newton is the guy? I saw several times when he whiffed hard and Schaub was fortunate not to get killed.

3. I like Jenkins. However, I will ask you, how are his pass defense skills. In my mind, the perfect compliment to Cush is a guy who is a stout run defender and can play the pass. This would allow Cush the freedom to roam around. I don't know enough about Jenkins' ability to guard the pass. Please let me know what you think.

4. I really like Fauria. Problem is, I like him too much and see him as a second rounder not a 4th (and certainly not a 7th). If he is here in the 4th, i'd grab him.

5. I really like Kwame Geathers. He represents big time value. I actually have him as a 4th rounder in the mock I am currently working on, becuase I think he will be taken late 4th/early 5th. Still a great selection.

5. LOVE Quinn Sharp. We have agreed on this one for awhile.

5. You have a third 5? Wow. I was only projecting two and i thought I was being generous. I don't know much about him, but I like the idea of getting a better slot corner. With the amount of times Wade like to play Dime, having an extra slot CB roaming around can only help.

6. I know you love your Baylor OG/OC combo players! But, they have all been good ones. Blake, Watkins, and Walton have all been quality prospects. But, Wade may just be the best of the bunch. Love the idea and the selection.

7. YES! Thank you. I know the old school type of FBs are leaving the game and they may eventually end up getting legislated out of the game due to head injuries, but man do I miss the old school FB who would bust a hole in the DL! Nothing against Casey but he is not a Leach. The Texans run game has suffered since Leach left town and Ray Rice's game has picked up.

7. I gotta be honest I completely forgot about him. Missing an entire season will do that. What a selection though! I think Glover Quinn is not resigned and Eddie Pleasant replaces him. Boyett starts as a special teams monster and may even be able to get in at Safety down the line.

As usual an excellent draft. Only real issue is with Bray as outlined above. Other than that, excellent work as usual!!!
Thank you so much for your time & feedback.

The reason I went Bray was exactly as you stated a pocket QB & I like his gunslinger mentality or willingness to throw the deep ball. Something Texans need more of. Also not meant to be inditement of Schaub just an understudy who could quickly pick up the system. As stated I view him as a plus prospect coming out of College in comparison to when Matt came out. The transition & system would not need to be changed except to be more aggressive. Good stuff, again thanks!

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is online now   Reply With Quote