View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013   #186
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream_team View Post
I agree. 10 of the top 14 defenses (in terms of points allowed) made the playoffs. All of the teams still in it are in the top 12.

I'm not saying defense is more important than offense... but I don't agree with the notion offense is more important than defense.
Yes offense matters more than defense in today's NFL.

There are only 32 teams in the NFL. Being in the top 14 is not what I'd call being a great defense. Top 3 maybe top 5 is where the meat is.

Being in the top half defense wise should be expected if you have a good team. No one is saying you can consistently win games with a bottom feeding defense.

But if you are planning on winning games the way we plan on winning them you shrink your margin for error. We freak out because of the drop pass by Casey and foster...how many dropped passes did welker have? How many off target balls did Brady throw? The reason we freak out is because we know our offense is limited and those kind of opportunities dont come as often. So when we miss that golden opprotunity it stings badly. Small margin for error.

We want to consistent hold opponents to 21 or fewer. If you can't score with the big boys, you are never going to beat them. It's that simple. The defense sucked and needs to get better....but if you can't throw up 35 or so when called upon then you just won't be able to compete.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote