View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013   #31
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 253531 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: 2012 a rebuilding year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
You are going to argue this way? Since Schaub has a better record he is better than Big Ben? So I guess you are saying that Rothlisburger and Manning are just good when they win Super Bowls and Schaub is better than those guys in years that his team wins 12 games? Those guys lead their teams and play at a high level more often than not....certainly more often than Schaub. Just mentioning Big Ben and Schaub in the same sentence is laughable.
I didn't say anything about Schaub, did I? Did I mention them in the same sentence? No. You did.

The guy I was responding to made the comment that having an elite QB assures you of being in contention. My point is, if those guys are elite, why aren't they in contention?

First: I don't consider those guys elite but like you said, that's a quibble about the definition of elite. If more than 10% of your guys are "elite" then they're not "elite". OTOH, people say you can't win a SB these days without an elite QB... "these days" being defined as starting after Brad Johnson's SB victory.

Second: But to the original guy's point, I don't think just having an elite QB puts you into contention. Look at the Saints. Brees alone is not enough.

Finally: Here it comes, I wasn't going to bring it up but you did, I think Schaub is good enough to win a SB. But he's got to have a superior team around him. He's not going to be able to carry a team into the playoffs and win games by force of will. Very few QBs are able to do that very often. Peyton only did it once and as far as I'm concerned, he's elite. I don't believe you have to be an elite QB to win a SB.
Adoptee: #55 - Chris Myers.
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote