Re: How did Ray Lewis go from murder suspect in 2000 to NFL royalty in 2013?
Because we live in a society where athletic prowess is valued above scholarship and even rule of law. Let's consider a few facts:
1. The prosecution in O.J. Simpson's trial had to dismantle his "nice guy" image. While his temper was famous among his friends, his publicists had spent decades crafting his image.
2. Jim Brown allegedly was known for slapping women around but while he was playing was never charged.
3. Mr. Warren Moon allegedly beat his wife Felicia on more than one occasion but wasn't charged until his playing days ended.
4. Michael Irvin was busted in a hotel room with a crack rock the size of a baseball and mysteriously got community service for a crime which would have sent anyone else to prison.
5. Nate Newton was busted REPEATEDLY with GARBAGE BAGS full of marijuana in the trunk of his car while playing and each time got a slap on the wrist. He wasn't sent to jail until AFTER he left the Dallas Cowboys.
6. Ray Lewis had a double murder occur in the master bedroom of his home but a friend who was at the party/get together went to prison for it. Ray was cleared of all charges as his friend fessed up and Ray testified against him.
7. Ben Roethlissburger was accused of sexual assault.
8. Kobe Bryant was accused of sexual assault.
9. Lawrence Taylor was arrested multiple times with cocaine, but wasn't prosecuted until his playing days ended.
10. Daryl Strawberry was arrested multiple times with cocainebut wasn't prosecuted until his playing days ended.
11. Dwight Gooden was arrested multiple times with cocaine but not prosecuted until his playing days ended.
Athletes who are still playing their respective sports, with the notable exceptions of Dog Boy (Michael Vick) and Plaxico Burress are RARELY charged for any crime of which they're accused and in the rare instances when they ARE charged get feather-light slaps on the wrist.
Go to ANY public school and you'll see student athletes holding their heads high as lions leading their pride as they stride hallways between classes secure in the knowledge that they needn't attend classes as long as they perform.
College athletic departments have frequent headaches caused by student athletes with criminal histories. High school athletics never has a "bake sale" or a car wash to raise money as the funding is always there. College athletics receives THEIR funding before any academic departments. Professors will be fired before a single coach (unless it's women's athletics). More and more colleges are doing away with tenure so that they can more easily rid themselves of pesky tenured profs who will fight to keep their departments alive. A high school chemestry teacher with 20 years gets less respect than Rodney Dangerfield while a football coach with a winning season is treated like a god. A doctor could cure cancer and probably still wouldn't be as highly regarded as a quasi-literate professional athlete.
We coddle people who are good at baseball, basketball, football and hockey from the cradle to the grave and we wonder why so many of them have delusions of granduer.
Yes I am aware of the Irony of decrying professional atheletics on a message board for a professional football team.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"