View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013   #34
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 132014 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Well, that's a wrap. 2012 season final thoughts

First of all I enjoyed the season except for the last 6 weeks where the Texans were exposed. Clearly this team lacks speed and receiving options. The right side of the offensive line is a serious problem. You know the old saying....when you have two RT's you really don't have one. The defense can't hold up in man coverage vs elite QB's. Andy Dalton? No problem. Guys that don't miss simple throws? Not enough man cover speed. Not even close. Some of that is injury, but I'm sorry Sharpton wasn't and isn't a starting caliber player.

I've often said in the past that the league moves very fast and the Texans move curiously slowly at times (their conservative bent). What I see is a team that didn't learn jack squat about how to avoid being in a situation that puts them in a bind with a QB that doesn't play up to his contract. They didn't have to give Carr the max option and they didn't have to jump the gun with Schaub. It felt good and everyone was happy that the Texans are such nice guys and a classy organization but they didn't learn one single thing when they threw all that money away for David Carr when nobody was forcing their hand. We'll be stuck with the dinkNdunk offense for at least two more years. Hell, 18 points down early in the 4th quarter the offensive tempo couldn't be more casual. Contrast that with Seattle earlier in the day playing the Falcons. Night and day. This is a synergistic problem and it's part Kubiak and part Schaub. Schaub is yin to Kubiak's yang.

Wade's odd front, fill the gap style of play puts a heavy burden on the backside coverage and forces them to have linebackers with elite cover skills to combat the Gronk's and Hernandez's of the world. It's a great defense if you can avoid great quarterbacks in the playoffs...but Wade never does, and always loses. He has a great regular season record though....I'll give him that much.

I really enjoyed this NFL season. Unpredictable, wide open and after the Refs came back I think it was the best season I've followed in many, many years. One of the main reasons it was so good was the incredible play of the young quarterbacks all over the league. QB's are coming into the league from passing offenses and are more prepared than ever to hit the ground running so to speak. Hell, Washington took TWO quarterbacks that can play in the NFL in the last draft. There is one out there for us if we make it a priority to identify and draft one (like Seattle and 49'ers did) and groom him (Wilson sure didn't take long), instead of finding a 7th round practice squad arm like we usually do. Watching the league's young quarterbacks buying time and extending plays has me a bit jealous of other teams right now. Those guys have their career's ahead of them and will be fun to watch going forward. Here in Houston I'll watch Schaub work his magic for a couple of more seasons. It's like the David Carr years except that we have the 'must play well' thing down....until we play the big boys.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote