View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013   #17
eriadoc
Texan-American

Rep Power: 240829 eriadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respectederiadoc is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via ICQ to eriadoc Send a message via Yahoo to eriadoc
Default Re: Eli Manning vs Matt Schaub

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Building off this last post...

Eli was actually much better in the week 17 contest in which the Patriots beat the Giants. His statline:
22/32 for 251 yards (69%) for 4 TDs and 1 INT

Yet they lost that game because the Pats scored 38 points. Defense was the difference, not Eli
Eli won SB MVP not because of stats but because he made ballsy throws and converted when it had to be done. Timeliness counts for a lot. I've always hated the timeliness argument when the QB sucks for 3 quarters and then comes back to in in the 4th, resulting in praise. That wasn't the case with Eli.

One example from Schaub this year was the throw to AJ vs. the Broncos to convert for a first down, thus icing the win. Manning was making a comeback and the team had to have a first down. Schaub nailed it. I have no idea what Schaub's stats were that game, but I remember that throw and catch. That's the stuff that sticks with you over time. Stats are just this side of meaningless in some scenarios.