View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013   #11
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 186361 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NIH Confirms Junior Seau Died With CTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
CTE has to be absolutely frightening for guys playing right now. I mean, Garret Graham just had two concussions in a month. Not sure if that will have any long term effects, but he has to be wondering about it. I'm guessing CTE is in the back of most players minds now, but when you've had multiple concussions I think players would probably start thinking about it more.

I wonder what long term effects this has for football? The most visible ones are rule changes, but that can only keep players safe to a point. Will young kids now switch to another sport because their parents are afraid of the potential consequences? I'd be interested to see how coaches in Pee-Wee leagues all the way up to high school are coaching football now. Do they coach their players to avoid tackling head first at all costs?
The youngsters are the ones that I am most concerned with. CTE has already been shown to occur in those individuals that have not carried ANY history of formal concussion. The brain continually clangs around inside the skull with any activities resulting in any forceful contact sports.......even those never involving head contact. In an other thread on this subject, I spoke to the very real differences between the child's brain and that of the adult, and how it's stage of development makes is very much more susceptible early on to very bad long-term consequences.

Here is an excellent article addressing the CTE issue as relates to our youth. Why Do We Let Kids Play Tackle Football?

Up until college, parents are making the decisions that involve the potential risks and fate of their children. It could be debatable if they should carry this burden, or even be allowed the choice once the evidence is so overwhelming. We already have confirmed CTE in college and even high school football players (17 and 18 year olds).
CloakNNNdagger is online now   Reply With Quote