View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013   #8
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 269060 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NIH Confirms Junior Seau Died With CTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
While I feel for his family, and I may get hammered for saying this, but imo once they sign that contract they understand the dangers they face. There will be hard hitting and there will be concussions. It's them rolling the dice and I'm willing to bet they clearly understand that.

On a side note, Cloak, is there a cure or treatment for CTE? I don't know Seau's issues leading up to his death, but couldn't he have attempted to seek help instead of suicide? The League was already aware of CTE so I'm not sure how much more Seau's brain is going to help
HOU-TEX,

The problem is that CTE is a POST-MORTEM diagnosis only. At this time there is no way to differentiate it clinically from some other more common brain syndromes such as dementia and Alzheimers. The diagnosis requires microscopic examination of the brain tissue...........not just a small biopsy sample, but of the entire brain. Thus far, no CT scan or MRI findings are specific to CTE. A hint "marker," such as chemical, blood or genetic test would have to be discovered to diagnose CTE in a living person. Furthermore, without studying the pathology involved in this entity in much more depth, and without gaining much more related information about CTE, no treatment can be expected to be formulated.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote