View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013   #77
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 264425 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: More people noticing Kubiaks Conservative play calling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Like I said in a previous post, it just seems like to me we haven't been able to run effectively on the early downs and that's whats causing us problems. Play action on 1st down in the red zone would probably be the best plan of action but for some we've been forced into a lot of 3rd and long situations once we get down into the red zone and that's where we've been struggling from what I can see.

Once we get inside the 20 it almost seems like a given we're going to run on first down. When you only get 1 or 2 yards there it throws us off. I'd just love to see us try to get even a short pass on first down to set up the run once we get down there. I'm only going based on memory, but thats what I see. Its not what we do that needs to change in my view. Just when and how we do it.
From the Minnesota game:
Quote:
3rd qtr 5:43
  • 2nd and 10 at MIN 25
    M.Schaub pass short left to A.Johnson to MIN 11 for 14 yards (H.Smith) [C.Greenway].
  • 1st and 10 at MIN 11
    M.Schaub sacked at MIN 13 for -2 yards (J.Allen).
  • 2nd and 12 at MIN 13
    M.Schaub pass short middle to K.Walter to MIN 1 for 12 yards (H.Smith).
  • 1st and 1 at MIN 1
    M.Schaub pass incomplete short left to O.Daniels.
  • 2nd and 1 at MIN 1
    B.Tate up the middle to MIN 1 for no gain (K.Williams).
  • 3rd and 1 at MIN 1
    M.Schaub sacked at MIN 15 for -14 yards (F.Evans).
  • 4th and 15 at MIN 15
    S.Graham 33 yard field goal is GOOD, Center-J.Weeks, Holder-D.Jone
From Indy:
Quote:
3rd qtr 15:00
  • 3rd and 7 at IND 26
    (Shotgun) M.Schaub pass incomplete deep left to A.Johnson. PENALTY on IND-V.Davis, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at IND 26 - No Play.
  • 1st and 10 at IND 21
    (Run formation) M.Schaub pass short right to J.Casey to IND 13 for 8 yards (C.Vaughn).
  • 2nd and 2 at IND 13
    (Run formation) A.Foster left tackle for 13 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
From our Cincinnati game
This one is tricky, depends on how strict your definition of Red Zone is. 1st down starts at the 24, but the first play from the 22 yard line is a pass.
Quote:
2nd Qtr 9:24
  • 1st and 10 at CIN 24
    Arian Foster rush over left tackle for 2 yards to the CINCINNATI 22, tackled by Dan Skuta.
  • 2nd and 8 at CIN 22
    Matt Schaub pass complete to Owen Daniels for 7 yards to the CINCINNATI 15, tackled by Vontaze Burfict.
  • 3rd and 1 at CIN 15
    Arian Foster rush over left guard for 4 yards to the CINCINNATI 11, tackled by Nate Clements for a 1ST down.
  • 1st and 10 at CIN 11
    Arian Foster rush over left guard for 1 yard to the CINCINNATI 10, tackled by Geno Atkins and Robert Geathers.
  • 2nd and 9 at CIN 10
    Matt Schaub pass complete to Owen Daniels for 6 yards to the CINCINNATI 4, tackled by Reggie Nelson.
    Timeout HOUSTON TEXANS, clock 2:27.
  • 3rd and 3 at CIN 4
    Matt Schaub pass incomplete to Andre Johnson.
Here, a pass play gets us into the Red Zone, the first play in the red zone is a run, but surely you aren't suggesting we change our approach here right?
Quote:
3rd Qtr 13:51
  • 1st and 10 at CIN 27
    Matt Schaub pass complete to Andre Johnson for 22 yards to the CINCINNATI 5, tackled by Adam Jones for a 1ST down.
  • 1st and 0 at CIN 5
    Arian Foster rush up the middle for 1 yard to the CINCINNATI 4, tackled by Michael Johnson.
  • 2nd and 0 at CIN 1
    Arian Foster rush over left guard for 1 yard for a TOUCHDOWN.
Quote:
3:06
  • 3rd and 4 at CIN 20
    Matt Schaub pass complete to Owen Daniels for 11 yards to the CINCINNATI 9, tackled by Nate Clements and Reggie Nelson for a 1ST down.
  • 1st and 0 at CIN 9
    Arian Foster rush over left guard for 1 yard to the CINCINNATI 18, tackled by Domata Peko, HOUSTON penalty 10 yard Holding on Brandon Brooks accepted.
  • 1st and 0 at CIN 18
    Matt Schaub pass incomplete to Kevin Walter, broken up by Terence Newman.
  • 2nd and 0 at CIN 18
    Arian Foster rush over left tackle for 7 yards to the CINCINNATI 11, tackled by Rey Maualuga.
  • 3rd and 0 at CIN 11
    Matt Schaub pass complete to Arian Foster for 5 yards to the CINCINNATI 6, tackled by Reggie Nelson.
  • 4th and 0 at CIN 6
    Shayne Graham 24 yard field goal GOOD.
So, I don't know if what is actually happening conducive with what you remember. As soon as we get to the red zone... sometimes we throw the ball. Sometimes on 1st down inside the red zone.... we pass. I don't see the "predictability"

He's calling the game just like you want.