View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013   #67
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 125714 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Walter's Current Mock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Those are some solid players .... but I'd be furious with that haul as it misses on most of the real needs this team will face going into the offseason.

That mock is .... amature at best. Its as if the writer only looks at statistics and doesnt know a thing about the team.

Not addressing the OL until the 4th round ?!

No DB thru 4 picks when they will have 5 of their top eight in the secondary become FA's ?!

What about the DL and OLB ?!

A RB that early when they have both Foster and Tate ..... this mock is a joke.
I would not make those picks but can understand the mock. I think ILB is a need priority but can be accomplished later round. Minter will be a good pick.

Oline does not need to be addressed until later but I am looking at bpa in 2/3 for one or the other. My problem is I want a WR2, NT, ILB, in top 4 picks. That can be done. I want to then utilyze the other pick for next best player. I have a OLB Travis Long (knee) in 4th and OLB Quanterus Smith (knee) in 7th. Both should be healthy by TC but Smith is high risk/high reward. Not sure if I am over ranking Long. I have a CB/FS Darrius Slay but may have to move him to at least 4th after combine. Joseph & KJ + Harris nails that down and I think Slay is perfect backup IF Carmichael is not ready. I see Slay as perfect safety to back up Manning and Quin who I do think will be resigned.

DL: we are okay here with starters returning and Crick looking very good. My NT and Mitchell who looked very good last game closes need for any help here although on mock I am working, I do select ND's Kapron Lewis-Moore who I dropped to 7 due to knee injury against Alabama.

OL: here is where I disagree with most of you.
OG first. Wade Smith finishes his last contract year here 2013 with Brooks at RG. Jones moves to backup center where he belongs. We then replace Smith with either Brooks or a draft pick now or 2014 (leaving Brooks RG). If I go OG now Alvin Brooks is perfect fit and can play either side. Again OG 2013 draft or '14?

OT: I like Newton at RT in his second full year with Brooks RG. I think a draft pick that could develop would be all needed. I am not satisfied with Ryan Harris but recovery from his back injury could have impacted his play. Gardner did better than I expected. If we are only looking for a back up swing, is FA and option? Is Rashad Butler an option?

In summary:

1. WR Patterson and Terrance Williams have switched places recently as Patterson was ranked apprx 47 and Williams 24. Now it is just the opposite with season over, not sure I understand why. Did they find new game film? I would take either in heart beat.

2. OT Menelik Watson surprised all by declaring early. He needs seasoning under a good coach but where better than behind Newton? If he can beat Derek out, so be it. Excellent link for those who do not know his history. Good read on this 6'6 320 manster. http://espn.go.com/colleges/fsu/foot...tate-seminoles

3A NT Brandon Williams ok I think he could be there in 4th but I like & need is there and if gone, my dire need is not filled.
3B ILB Andrew Jackson best LB available and is a tackling machine. Most have read my link on Alabama's Saban's comments. *Williams does go into coverage.
4. OLB Travis Long (may need to lower due to injury)
5A FS/CB Darrius Slay plays both well & moving up boards. Quin will be resigned.
5B TE Michael Williams
5C C/OG Mario Benavidez 6'4 304 Ben Jones type.
6 RB Cierre Wood has dropped due to offense be mauled by Alabama. Still a good choice here.
7A OLB Quanterus Smith falls this low due to knee injury. WKU senior that has 12.5 sacks before knee. Risk/reward at this round is perfect. May need 2013 to heal.
7B DE Kapron Lewis-Moore fell one round due to knee injury against the Tide.