View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013   #32
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: More people noticing Kubiaks Conservative play calling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deucetx View Post

Why are we almost constantly checking down in the redzone to settle for fieldgoals. Things of this nature. It's why I said in one post I would want the offense more flexible. Not about passing it 30-40 times a game. Just to where we have playmakers and can actual have a 3rd and 10 and say 'Okay, let's go get this damn thing. No problem.' By all means be conservative. Run it down the throats. Play ballhawking defense. But when it's time to pass, be capable of actually doing it for more than five yards.
The first play in the Patriots game was an Arian Foster run for 12 yards. They flagged us for the illegal formation, negating the run & putting us in 1 & 15

We handed the ball off to Arian & he picked up 15 yards & the first down.

On our second drive, we got to 3rd & 12. Schaub in the gun, he completed a pass to LeStar Jean for 24 yards, no YAC.

That's just one example, there were many in the Bengals game.

I'm having difficulty understanding what is being meant by being "conservative" because he's been calling exactly the game you are describing.

Now, the Bengals' game. If we get into the redzone & can't score a TD in 3 downs, the right call is to kick the field goal. We were dominating that game on both sides of the ball. They had a total of 39 yards at the half & -15 yards passing.

If we were playing the Patriots we'd have considered ourselves lucky, but take the chance to go for it on 4th & 3 from their 4 yard line. The first field goal, 4th & 2 from their 30.... not a smart move to go for it there.

I know everyone thinks they are smarter than Gary Kubiak & he doesn't understand that we can't beat New England with field goals, but we weren't playing New England & we were in complete control of that game.

Even at the end, had they scored a TD with 4 minutes left, we would have marched down the field & kicked a field goal to win it. We took knees with almost 2 minutes left in the game.