View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013   #66
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57325 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Network will re-air week 14 Texans vs Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddler View Post
What's really important to understand here, is that again this is third down. 3rd & 10. Our defense repeatedly got the Patriots to third & long situations but a gaff by our defense, or a ticky-tack foul extended the drives & kept the Patriots on the field. The Pats first scoring drive was made possible because of a holding call five & a half yards past the LOS. five & a half yards.... then the flag was late, made it look like the ref was thinking, "What can I do to help Brady here? Oh.. Oh, I know."

What makes this play in particular so bad, is that our defense was handling the run well enough at this point. Well enough, that you wouldn't think we were going to give up a 10 yard gain on the ground. It is 3rd & long (10 yards).

There is no way a receiver should have been allowed to get deep on our defense.

Now, 3rd & 10 I might have told my safety to squat there on the 10 yard line, but I would have had my corner play about 5 yards on top of the receiver. At the snap, he would stay on top of the receiver & cover anything deep. The Safety would be looking for the short pass. If it's a quick out or slant, it would be his job to tackle the receiver before he covered the 10 yards. If it's a 10 yard curl, the safety should be able to make a play on the ball, or break up the throw. If the receiver continues to run deep, the safety would take underneath coverage & run with the receiver, underneath with the corner on top.

So it's possible that Demps was doing the right thing & the corner screwed up, but it looks like the corner took a trailing position after trying to bump the receiver (makes sense) & Demps is facing this so he should have seen the corner was trailing meaning he should "adjust" his coverage on the fly & stay on top.

However, this is the same thing that happened against the Colts just before the half when Hilton scored on a 70 yard TD pass. He was pulled from that game. He didn't play against Minnesota. He snuck back in against the Colts week 17 & he got burned the same way again.
KJ was moving around to disguise his intention against Welker as the #1 receiver on the most inside.
He finally settled to defend any quick in-breaking route.

It looks like Harris played basically the same tecnique on the #2 receiver.
He sticks to the receiver to the inside; he was ready to defend any short-to-medium routes.

The only concern Demps may have is a 10-yd square out by Welker.
He didn't have to worry about the 10-yd square in by Stallworth, nor any short route by this #2 receiver.

He just has to get back because neither CB on either side of him were playing deep; they were both playing on-man coverage.
The only help they needed was on the deep routes.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote