View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013   #10
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 216190 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Mike Shanahan: A coach who overrules the doctors should be fired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
The initial assessment was an LCL, and now the prior ACL graft is torn as well. So putting him back on the field was not a good idea?

It seems odd to go into an athlete's other knee to get the new graft, given both sides are expected to see further stressors. Is there another option?
LCL tear can actually be considered a complication of ACL repair. It was not a good idea to put him back in. If the LCL were indeed mild Grade I to begin with, I would have expected to see him a normal knee brace, not a massive brace that you would have expected to see on RoboCop. I believe they knew that the tear was already Grade II. It should well illustrate that knee braces have unpredictable "protection" in cases of existing significant injury.

It is more typical that grafts are harvested on the same side of injury, so that rehab can be limited to one limb. They will probably stay with a graft on the same leg (quadriceps or hamstring tendon). Most surgeons will avoid synthetic grafts.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote