View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013   #92
Arky
Veteran

Rep Power: 2327 Arky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respectedArky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Call me a conspiracist, but refs will NOT be in favor of us next week. NFL wants

Here's a bit of research I did a couple of years ago back when looking at "1st downs from penalty" in the Colts vs. Texans series back when Peyton was at the helm:

Quote:
I've been looking at a few stats in the Texans vs. Colts series. The one I find most curious is "1st downs from penalty". The Texans don't really have a rep as a penalized team, in fact, they are usually in the upper half of the least penalized teams in recent years.

In the NFL, each game, teams normally get 0, 1 or 2 of these per game. 0, 1 and 2 are all common numbers for 1st downs from penalty/game.

In the Texans vs. Colts series (Texan win/loss in parentheses):

--------------

Game 1 @ Indy (L): Texans 1, Colts 6
Game 2 @ Houston (L): Texans 0, Colts 4

Totals for 2009: Texans 1, Colts 10
--------------

Game 1 @ Houston (W): Texans 1, Colts 2
Game 2 @ Indy (L): Texans 2, Colts 1

Totals for 2010: Texans 3, Colts 3 (a "normal" year)
---------------

Game 1 @ Houston (W): Texans 1, Colts 1
Game 2 @ Indy (L): Texans 1, Colts 6

Totals for 2011: Texans 2, Colts 7
---------------

Grand totals last 3 years, first downs from penalty: Texans 6, Colts 20

This genuinely qualifies as lopsided.

Just thought I'd point this out since I wasted probably an hour of my time looking this stuff up.
Now that I look at it again a year or so later, the 2009 and 2011 games in Indy both had 6(!) first downs from penalty for the Colts..... *that* is a bunch. That can change a game.....but it is what it is...

Edit: Peyton didn't play in 2011 but it didn't seem to change things much. Also, no doubt there were different officiating crews involved in this data...
Arky is offline   Reply With Quote