View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013   #86
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak
Default Re: Call me a conspiracist, but refs will NOT be in favor of us next week. NFL wants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I agree. It's the so-called Michael Jordan rule evident in all sports.

But, that road goes both way. I've seen Andre Johnson get the benefit of superstar treatment, as well. I wouldn't be surprised if JJ Watt gets the same as time goes on.
Well you tend to find more stars on successful teams so maybe they get a few extra calls. I don't think it is because the NFL wants a Brady v. Manning matchup or anything like that. As I said, I don't think any of this gets discussed. I just think it is an unconscious tendency at times.

Quote:
I just don't think these calls are making the difference in the outcomes of games.
As you said the road goes both ways so sometimes we benefit as in Detroit. I do think there are certain times bad officiating does make the difference in a game.

Heck there is a pretty good argument one SB was decided by bad officiating. In SB V the Cowboys clearly recovered a fumble on the Colts 1 yard line and inexplicably the referee comes running up and signals Colts ball as the same Cowboy everyone saw jump on the ball is standing there holding the ball. 3 pt game.

From the Texans - no conspiracy to it. 2003 we play the Patriots to overtime. 3rd down in OT Sharper gets called for a phantom PI call putting the Pats in field goal range and boom the game is over.

So I think poor officiating can affect the outcome of games. Generally it does not and I don't see a conspiracy. Now I have to go knock on wood nothing is called to make me scream about the officiating.