View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013   #200
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76Texan View Post
I don't understand this.
Manning's salary and cap hit is $18M this year and $20M the next 2 years.

Even if we release Walter, we still don't have enough money for salary (not even counting that we will need to release other players as well to accomodate for Peyton's cap hit.)
I'm just going off memory here for Schaub's 2012 cap number pre-extension, but iirc he had 7.2 million in non-guaranteed salary and a little left over signing bonus (1.25 million I think). Cutting/Trading him in 2012 would have saved that much, and he obviously would have never gotten an extension. His 2013 projected cap hit will be 10.75 million, Walters is 4.5 million. That's 15.25 million alone in free money for 2013 and beyond, which IMHO is enough to make a legitimate run at Peyton Manning and pay him for years to come. Not only that, but Schaub actually restructured the remainder of his deal into his new extension, which increased his 2012 cap hit by about 2 million. So there's some more change to help go after Manning.

I don't think we would have offered the same amount per year as Denver, but we could have been competitive (16-18 million per year range). By the way, Schaub's last two years of his current deal are projected to be 17 and 19 million cap hits.

Bottom line, it was completely feasible if there was a significant effort to get Manning. Schaub could have been kept on the roster while they made a play for Peyton, and if it didn't work out, then you still have a QB. But it's clear the organization wasn't interested in Manning, so it's all water under the bridge.