View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013   #39
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: case keenum dec article

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
After watching Seattle all year long, I don't want to hear anymore comments about how Keenum is too short to be successful in the NFL today.

Russel Wilson

Height: 5-11 Weight: 206

Experience: Rookie

TDS/26 INT/10 YDS/3,118 RTG/100.0
AND....

He was selected with the 12th pick of the 3rd round.

So, apparently 31 other teams out there had two rounds to draft this QB and they didn't.

But that's only the beginning of this thing.

Pete Carrol had to decide to start Wilson over Flynn, even though Flynn had been paid to be the defacto starter well before the draft occurred.

This is how a front office and a head coach don't let numbers dictate what players hit the field. They had a hunch, they acted on it, and it paid off.

This is not to say that Case Keenum or TJ Yates is a Russell Wilson that the Texans won't let happen...but it does make you wonder why this team isn't shaking the draft tree every year for that QB who can give you more than what your current starter has.

Instead, the token late round QB or UDFA QB is just symbolic. Clipboard holder. A guy who you think would manage a game if he had to enter due to an injury to the starter. I can't imagine why any team would want Matt Leinart, either. Again: Clipboard holder, suitable manager.

There's this mentality in the NFL that you get a starter and you have clipboard QBs who really shouldn't do much more than just maintain and sustain. Why is that? There's a glorification of the NFL QB that I think needs to be put out to pasture and retired. Teams need dynamic production at the QB position.