View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013   #172
76Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83970 76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected76Texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: All Encompassing Matt Schaub Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
That's not true at all. There was a path to make a run at Peyton, but it needed to start the first minute of free agency.

Cutting/trading Schaub would have saved about 7.2 million in salary.
Cutting Walter would have saved 4.5 million at the time.
NOT cutting Demeco would have saved us about 3-4 million in salary this year as opposed to the dead money created AND he would still be on the team.
JJo could have restructured like he did this season to save about 3.66 million.
Cutting Winston freed up another 3-4 million.

It was possible for sure, but we didn't even attempt to get him, instead they chose to take the dead money this year for mistakes made in the past, and hope to use it on future players. Cutting or trading Schaub before the 2015 offseason is now unfeasible given his extension. Only avenue of an upgrade at QB is through the draft.
You need to walk me through this one Dutch; I think it's a whole more complicated than meet the eyes.

First, let sah we were able to trade Schaub, do we still have to spread the original signing bonus and the $10M option bonus from his fourth year and figure them into the cap hit?

Walter already had his salary cut to 2M in mid March, correct?

Keeping Demeco, and we still incur nearly $6M in salary and cap hit.
And he wouldn't happy in a reduced role.
Who knows, maybe they had a talk and both sides agreed that it's best for him to go to a 4-3 team.
Even if we had keep him, we will have a problem next year when his salary and cap hit increase.

Winston's salary is already accounted for.

I just don't see enough room for $18M.
Then if Manning passes the physical next year, it will trigger a salary of $20M guarantee the next two years (13 and 14).

I don't think it can work; and even if it does, it will put us in dire strait year after year.
76Texan is offline   Reply With Quote