View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013   #48
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 323680 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: [Foxsports] Kubiak needs to get it together after ugly win

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
We don't know what's going on between Kubiak and Dennison, honestly.

Nobody knows if it's Dennison's calls the majority of the time...if Kubiak is overriding Dennison the majority of the time...if Dennison is calling everything but Red Zone play calls...or vice versa, or what.

We just don't know.

And probably never will. My hunch is that Gary is sticking his finger in the pie too much, and it's messing up the cooking. He built this offense, he acquired his players for it, he's probably going to want as much control as he can get.
What we do know, for a fact, When Kubiak got here, this offense was more vertical. With David Carr, with Sage Rosenfels, with Matt Schaub. And this was a time when we "knew" Kyle wasn't calling the plays.

As Kyle matured under Kubiak, I will agree with the perception that the offense appeared more creative.

Then when Dennison came it was thought that he would help develop a commitment to the running game & fix our red zone problems.

This "conservative" Kubiak thing started last year, I think. There were several games where Schaub's attempts were in the low 20s but we either had a lot of yards, or a lot of points. Tennessee he threw the ball 23 times for 296 yards & we had 41 points. Against Cleveland we came out throwing the ball, he ended up only throwing 23 times for 119 yards but we had 30 points, beating the Browns by 18 & the game wasn't even that close. TB, he was killing them on 15 attempts for 242 yards, 37 points he only played half the game, but I think we scored most of that while he was still in the game. Attempts were down, but it was very much a vertical passing game.

And this year, I'm not so sure that there haven't been conservative decisions made by Matt, more so than Kubiak's play calling. i think there have been more decisions to throw the ball to the short route than there have been calls to run it up the middle on 2nd & 15.

I'll agree that Kubiak isn't the kind of guy who will run up the score. If that's conservative so be it. But throughout his career, he has designed plays to stretch the field, attack defenses downfield, & put points on the board. What we've been seeing this year doesn't fit that m.o.