View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013   #9
keyser
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19314 keyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respectedkeyser is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: What Constitutes a QB Fumble???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Two weeks in a row, the Texans have been hosed by the ref's on, to me at least, OBVIOUS sack/fumbles. Both times, the call was an incomplete pass. How does a defender knocking a QB's arm forward (when it was still going backwards before contact in the replays) because he hit him make it an incomplete pass?
Doc, I don't know the precise rule, but the general thing I understand is that if the arm is moving forward, for whatever reason, before the ball is let loose, then it is considered a pass. They seem to me to apply this rule even when something "should" be a fumble - i.e. giving a lot of benefit of the doubt to the QB. In today's game, the arm started moving forward before the ball came loose, so it was ruled a pass - I was not at all surprised about the ruling, even if it "should" have been a fumble. I don't remember the details of last week's one well enough, though.

I never saw a replay of the whole thing, but did the ball actually move forward in today's game? It wasn't a lateral was it? I kind of doubt it, but I was hoping for a full replay and they never showed it after the challenge, just lots of replays of the ball coming out initially. I actually thought NBC's broadcast today was subpar, with lots of missed chances for replays, odd angles, etc., which was very unexpected considering this was a playoff game.
keyser is offline   Reply With Quote