View Single Post
Old 01-04-2013   #19
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: Saturday is a Referendum of Matt Schaub and Gary Kubiak's Careers Here in Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
As far as comparing the Texans to other teams, I frequently saw the slow and steady approach compared to the Steelers, the Patriots, and occasionally the Landry Cowboys. Seeing the results of the approach compared to the Browns and Jaguars doesn't convince me it is the best and only way to achieve success.
The way I look at it... If you were to start a new car company today, how long would it be before your sales matched GM, Ford, & Chrysler in the U.S. ? Keep in mind, that the Japanese have been making cars almost as long as the big three. They've been selling cars in the US since the 70s, & only recently have they equaled or surpassed their sales.

That's the same way I see this. You're not going to start a franchise today & win a Super Bowl in 10 years. It's never been done before, expecting the Texans to do it is just not realistic.

As far as being the best or only way to do it, I mentioned in another thread that there were 10 head coaching changes in 2006. Bills, Lions, Packers, Texans, Chiefs, Vikings, Saints, Jets, Raiders, Rams.

Of those teams, only the Packers, Texans, & Saints have those coaches hired in 2006. Whether you want to believe it or not, we're closer to the Packers & Saints than the Bills, Lions, Chiefs, Vikings, Jets, Raiders, & Rams. Only the Jets have had more success than we have over that time & imo, only the Vikings are close to what we've got.
Quote:
==============

About expectations. When the season started, I didn't think the Texans were Super Bowl contenders this year

I took a lot of flak over this reasoning in the beginning of the season, especially the first point.
Strange, I think your reasoning was sound. The only reason people would have had to think we were contenders is because of what we did in 2011 without Schaub.

However, here we are... looking like contenders for most of the season, but I think most were probably just as surprised as you even if they didn't say as much.
Quote:
================

I am disappointed in the Texans because they are satisfied with taking half steps every year...

because I see even that progression stopping and falling back. I'd like to see the organization attempt to take a couple of big steps and reach the ultimate goal rather than trust that they will always get a little better each season with no risk of falling back.
What do you base this on? You're not satisfied, but you're still here. You didn't quit on us & get another team. Just because Kubiak isn't fired doesn't mean they are satisfied. It only means they don't believe the reasons for the "incremental" steps are the same as what you believe them to be.

Upset because we didn't make a run at Peyton?

Nobody does everything 100% right every time, all the time. I'm sure some things didn't go the way the Texans planned. They expected the cap to go up. It didn't & they had to lose Winston. Not acceptable, but not worth firing Rick Smith over. That's baby with bath water talk. Any argument to get rid of Rick Smith or Gary Kubiak is baby & bath water talk.

Quote:
Not everyone shares this viewpoint, and I understand that. However, the fact that I don't have a Panglossian view that the Texans are the best they could possibly be doesn't make me a knee-jerk, mouth breathing, bad fan, hater either.*

*I just threw in the "mouth breathing" part for color. I don't think I've actually been called that here.
I don't like Gary Kubiak. I don't think the offense has pulled it's weight at all this season. We've been "talking" about the offense since week 1 vs Miami. I think we should have won both the Minnesota & Indy games. I think our performance against GreenBay & New England is unacceptable.

But like you, I'm not an ******* about it & say stupid scht that makes less sense than the way our team is playing.